HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3parbrowse and 3paredit accounts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:43 pm 

Does anyone know what the 3parbrowse and 3paredit accounts are used for? The SP User Guide says the passwords are randomly generated and that they're not used at all...so why are they there to begin with?

From http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... =c02982065
Quote:
3parbrowse is a user account with Browse rights. No Hewlett Packard Enterprise personnel
or service providers have access to this user account. The password is randomly created
and is unknown to anyone. This user account is not used by Hewlett Packard Enterprise
personnel and you can modify or delete this user account.

Quote:
3paredit is a user account with Edit rights. No Hewlett Packard Enterprise personnel or
service providers have access to this user account. The password is randomly created and
is unknown to anyone. This user account is not used by Hewlett Packard Enterprise personnel
and you can modify or delete this user account

Post subject: Re: 3parbrowse and 3paredit accounts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Not sure why they include some pre-created accounts with the unit. They have been doing that for a very long time, long before HP bought 3PAR. Per the doc - you can delete them, if you need them back you can create new accounts with cooler names than that! Most people use LDAP anyway, but for things to run from the internal 3PAR scheduler, it must be a local account.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:10 am 

That's interesting as the best practices document says the opposite. These accounts are required and should not be deleted:

Do not change the password or remove the accounts for the “3parsvc,” “3parservice,” “3paredit,” or “3parbrowse” users. These are randomly generated at the time of the initialization of the system and are required for communication between the service processor and the HPE 3PAR StoreServ system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

The first doc is about the service processor, and looks to contain more specific details than the best practices guide does. Both docs agree with regards to 3parsvc and 3parservice, leaving 3paredit and 3parbrowse in contention. In a situation like this, I would go with the better detailed documentation.

However when in doubt, call support.

You can provide feedback on the document here - what can we do to improve this documents? I sent the link to this thread.

https://dc-viawest.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo ... hpresearch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:59 pm 

I sent an email to docsfeedback@hpe.com about this