Any experience with HP 3PAR StoreServ File Controller

hdtvguy

Re: Any experience with HP 3PAR StoreServ File Controller

Post by hdtvguy »

A lot of vendors are moving to File Server appliances that are based on Windows Storage Server 2012 clusters, it allows you to integrate with your Windows environment and then they provide a fancy UI on top. Again personally we prefer to just use native Windows servers with our build and that our Windows admins can support. We looked at a few alternatives that on the surface offer some nice features, but when it comes to integrating with your AD and Windows infrastructure all the non Windows based solutions have limitations.
Richard Siemers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Siemers »

apol wrote:The abillity to fix vulnerabilities is not a disadvantage, it's an advantage. Linux has a lot of vulnerabilities as well, and I doubt that these are fixed in all other filers on the market as regularly as on a windows box... Sure, "hardened linux"... ssl anyone? :twisted:

All options out there have the "ability" to fix vulnerabilities... the disadvantage with Microsoft's OS is the frequency that patching requires a system reboot vs everyone else.
Richard Siemers
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
afidel

Post by afidel »

Richard Siemers wrote:
apol wrote:The abillity to fix vulnerabilities is not a disadvantage, it's an advantage. Linux has a lot of vulnerabilities as well, and I doubt that these are fixed in all other filers on the market as regularly as on a windows box... Sure, "hardened linux"... ssl anyone? :twisted:

All options out there have the "ability" to fix vulnerabilities... the disadvantage with Microsoft's OS is the frequency that patching requires a system reboot vs everyone else.

Server Core running only remote management and file services role shouldn't need patching any more frequently than say a RHEL box running similar services, and with cluster aware patching these days it's really a non-issue.
Richard Siemers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Siemers »

afidel wrote:Server Core running only remote management and file services role shouldn't need patching any more frequently than say a RHEL box running similar services, and with cluster aware patching these days it's really a non-issue.

Agreed, but is "Windows Storage Server 2012" a pack of services that can run under Server Core, or is it a whole OS dedicated to being a storage server without a "Core" option?

When it comes to NAS file heads, I am of the opinion that Netapp is the king to beat. Updates on a Netapp is not completely non-disruptive as there is a failover and failback... however, patches are pretty far apart.
Richard Siemers
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
Zubrania

Post by Zubrania »

Hello

Can anyone advice wether there is a possibility to setup a cluster from 2 x StoreEasy 3830 with 3par 7400 without the requirement of joining Active Directory Domain

Thank you in advance
JohnMH

Post by JohnMH »

Try here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr ... 65970.aspx Looks like there are some limitations involved.
Zubrania

Post by Zubrania »

JohnMH wrote:Try here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr ... 65970.aspx Looks like there are some limitations involved.

JohnMH thank you for the link provided. Unfortunately that kind of AD detached cluster can only exist if wondows server 2012 r2 is being used. In my case I have 2x StoreEasy3830 which are windows server 2012 based. Is there any ability to upgrade them to R2?

Thank you
JohnMH

Post by JohnMH »

Yes below is the upgrade kit.
P/No D4T73A HP StoreEasy Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Upgrade
Zubrania

Post by Zubrania »

JohnMH wrote:Yes below is the upgrade kit.
P/No D4T73A HP StoreEasy Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Upgrade

Cool thanks