HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Re: Is there a way to script snapshots for volumes?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:48 am 

MAde an update to not rely on environment variable, but to instead pas that info in each command line. We added a second array and using environment variable is no longer a good way to maneg 2 arrays as one script can be making environment variable changes while th other is runing and confuse the hell out of it.

Attachments:
snapvvs.txt [5.97 KiB]
Downloaded 3318 times
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:55 am 

Hi All,

I wanted to create a "consistent" group of volumes for a Oracle Database with the ability to do updates every 24 hours, this allows me to using a LIVE database for reporting tools. This group needs to be in RW mode and it needs a consistent WWLN ID so that the Solaris OS does not require extensive configuration to remount the volumes everytime it resyncs. I know we can do this using the "createvvcopy" command, but you must promote it to Base volumes before you can mount it. By promoting it to Base Volume, it prevents the deltas changes being logged and when you resync the copies every 24 hours, it will require a complete copy out function, this of course is too slow as it takes over 3 hours to complete for a 2TB Volume and it is not consistent.

The "updatevv" option will keep the same ID for the volume and it even unmounts and mounts all in one command which is ideal, however once again it is NOT consistent, this means all of the 9 volumes that need to be consistently grouped do not sync exactly at the same Point in time.

I would like to ask for a solution or ideas if anyone has one.

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 am 

IF you do an updatevv against a Volume set I thought it would be consistent?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 pm 

Hi,

is there a way to snapshot volumes in order to preserve a oracle database with asm devices?

in a past days, (a week ago), i found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_y1hheJ0AA) on that i see the cli commands from linux console and the complete recover for a oracle disaster. Therefore, today this video has been deleted.

is there a secret about this?? Please, helpme !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:28 pm 

We create snapshots daily of a number of volumes and export them to our backup servers. We've been using Perl scripts to do this which we then call from a Windows scheduled task. We've been using them for about 2 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:39 pm 

hdtvguy wrote:
I am attaching a batch file that will help you. It accepts 3 parameters, the array name, a volume name (accepts wildcards) and then an expiration time. We run this every day against various volume wildcard strings to take daily snapshots of volumes on our array. Really simplifies massive snapshot creation. By accepting expiration duration it allows you to not have to worry about clean up. I am converting this to powershell in the near future. We run this on a windows box using Windows Scheduled task and have the 3par CLI installed. You will need to look at the script to find the name of e password file you use and change it. The default the %arrayname%_admin.pwfile and %ARRAYNAME% is loaded from the first variable passed.

I have some Remote Copy scripts as well and one that syncs snapshots on a target array of remote copies once all volumes in an RC group are done replicating it will refresh teh snaps off that RC group in the target.

SOrry for my dumb question, but how do I execute this ? Do I need the 3PAR Cli ? or via SSH ?

Please, this is my first time runnning a script.

Thks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am 
Site Admin

bcarvalho wrote:
SOrry for my dumb question, but how do I execute this ? Do I need the 3PAR Cli ? or via SSH ?

Please, this is my first time runnning a script.

Thks.

Yes that script requires the 3PAR Cli on windows. It also appears to require some addition text files to work, that will be specific to your environment. You should not run any script, especially ones downloaded from the internet, without having someone familiar with the scripting language review and tweak them for your specific environment.