HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR 7200 SAN VSP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:40 am 

Good Day everyone.

We recently got our hands on a 3Par 7200 system and a disk tray so total of 48 drives from a company that went under.

Unfortunately its only the 3par system no server hosting vsp or a sp was included. :oops:

Now my question is can the system be run without using a VSP or SP and configure the controllers directly to setup vvol and export luns to host. My boss does not want to fork out money on the box to get a support license to download the vsp from hp and his opinion is the system should be scrapped.

What are my options? I do not want to see this system end up on a landfill while its actually still in pretty decent condition.

What I have done so far : Reset both controllers using oobe setup passwords and can access both controllers console. Installed SSMC but realized i need a VSP or SP so that is not an option.

Looking forward to your answers.

Post subject: Re: 3PAR 7200 SAN VSP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:47 am 

You don't need the SP to use the 3PAR.

The SP is required for upgrading the system and using call home functionality.

Your biggest problem is probably that running OOTB means you probably don't have the license required to use the system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:02 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
You don't need the SP to use the 3PAR.

The SP is required for upgrading the system and using call home functionality.

Your biggest problem is probably that running OOTB means you probably don't have the license required to use the system.

Ok great thank you. I did the OOTB because the passwords where changed and information online pointed to reset and restart. All of the drives are detected and provisioned, most of them had firmware upgrades so it took like 5 hours to complete.

If I do not need the SP how do I manage it? SSMC? I did try SSMC but adding the ip of the controller username(i think it was 3paradm) and new password it just says cannot connect

I do understand the licensing I do have an entitlement id for the 3par on hp site if that can help?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:05 am 

What 3PAR OS version and what version of SSMC?

When 7000 launched, IMC was the primary admin tool.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

You can manage it via SSH cli.

For 3PAR versions 3.2.2 and later you can also use SSMC. Anything older can use IMC 4.7.3