HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR licensing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:31 am 

Hey all,

I recently revived an old 3par that we got from an acquisition. Now the system works fine now ( after reading numerous posts here how to replace stuf :) ).

But I wanted to add some 3PAR SLC ssd's to give it a bit of extra cache. Now I'm already on my 96 drives limit.. But which license do I need only for the 3PAR to admit the drive in order to use it for AFC?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: 3PAR licensing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:56 am 

3parnewb wrote:
Hey all,

I recently revived an old 3par that we got from an acquisition. Now the system works fine now ( after reading numerous posts here how to replace stuf :) ).

But I wanted to add some 3PAR SLC ssd's to give it a bit of extra cache. Now I'm already on my 96 drives limit.. But which license do I need only for the 3PAR to admit the drive in order to use it for AFC?

Thanks in advance!

Now, the biggest question remains, what system do you got?

8000, 9000 and 20000 both had disk-based licensing and all-inclusive licensing (which didn't count drives), 10000/V-class had both capacity and disk-based licensing while 7000 only had disk-based licensing.

All systems with disk-based licensing had a license cap, so once you got passed that number, you didn't need anymore licenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:37 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
3parnewb wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

8000, 9000 and 20000 both had disk-based licensing and all-inclusive licensing (which didn't count drives), 10000/V-class had both capacity and disk-based licensing while 7000 only had disk-based licensing.

All systems with disk-based licensing had a license cap, so once you got passed that number, you didn't need anymore licenses.

Ah lol forgot to mention. It's a 7400 4 node cluster, and asfaik the disk cap is somewhere at 160+. I added only 12 slc ssd's ( 6 per node pair )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:35 pm 

3parnewb wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:
3parnewb wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Ah lol forgot to mention. It's a 7400 4 node cluster, and asfaik the disk cap is somewhere at 160+. I added only 12 slc ssd's ( 6 per node pair )

In that case I have a bad feeling you would have to remove 12 HDDs to be able to add those SSDs, even for flash cache.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:48 pm 

oof, so there are no disk licenses that you could buy?

In that case I'll remove 2 drives per pair.I think 200GB of cache per pair can make a difference already.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:34 am 

3parnewb wrote:

In that case I'll remove 2 drives per pair.I think 200GB of cache per pair can make a difference already.

According to this: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/do ... cale=en_US

The last day to get additional licenses was Oct last year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:02 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
3parnewb wrote:

According to this: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/do ... cale=en_US

The last day to get additional licenses was Oct last year.

Alright, thanks for the info!