HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Removing a few SSDs and replacing them with FCs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:13 am 

Hello,

I'm very new to 3Par and unfortunately, due to our other storage failing, I had to configure an older 3Par in a hurry.

I received a 7200c with 1 controller enclosure and 2 expansion disk enclosures, 20 SSD drives and 16 FC drives. Because I didn't have the time to properly get acquainted with 3Par, I did a bad job of installing physical drives in said enclosures (don't ask me why - I don't remember my reasoning at that time):

Cage 0 (controller):
SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC FC FC

Cage 1:
SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC

Cage 2:

Now, that the crisis has passed and I can read more about 3Par, I see that this layout is not ideal. I was promised additional FC drives so that I can have the same number of FC drives in each enclosure.

SSDs are currently used for cache - AO is configured, but hasn't been performed yet.

The question I can't find an answer to is - can I 'safely' remove (without disturbing 3Par operation too much) the two right-most SSDs from Cage 1 and replace them with FC drives, so that all cages have the same number of drives of each type?

If that is possible, what would the correct procedure be?

Post subject: Re: Removing a few SSDs and replacing them with FCs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:56 am 

Hi danci1973,

It process is "rebalanced" y it possible make online (in production). for the Qty the disk and QTY Cgages (3), the configuration en Cage 00 always have more disk that others Cages (01 and 02) (image 1 -NinjaStar Sizer). The ideal configuracion for this disk would be with 2 cages (image2)

Attachments:
configuration 3par.jpg
configuration 3par.jpg [ 99.33 KiB | Viewed 13711 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:54 am 

danci1973 wrote:
Hello,

I'm very new to 3Par and unfortunately, due to our other storage failing, I had to configure an older 3Par in a hurry.

I received a 7200c with 1 controller enclosure and 2 expansion disk enclosures, 20 SSD drives and 16 FC drives. Because I didn't have the time to properly get acquainted with 3Par, I did a bad job of installing physical drives in said enclosures (don't ask me why - I don't remember my reasoning at that time):

Cage 0 (controller):

Cage 1:
SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC

Cage 2:

Now, that the crisis has passed and I can read more about 3Par, I see that this layout is not ideal. I was promised additional FC drives so that I can have the same number of FC drives in each enclosure.

SSDs are currently used for cache - AO is configured, but hasn't been performed yet.

The question I can't find an answer to is - can I 'safely' remove (without disturbing 3Par operation too much) the two right-most SSDs from Cage 1 and replace them with FC drives, so that all cages have the same number of drives of each type?

If that is possible, what would the correct procedure be?

This isn't perfect but it's what you got. If you have two more FC drives, just install them in cage1. It doesn't matter the position in the cage (as long as all drives are installed in pairs).

For SSD it doesn't really matter than much. You will not get into performance issues anyways, the worst thing that can happen is that you are unable to fill the SSD tier completely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 am 

Many thanks to both of you.

If I understand correctly - as a first step I should get a minimum of 2 FC drives (and possibly 4 SSDs) to even out the number of drives in cages. The order doesn't matter (much) as long as they're installed in pairs.

From there on, I should be getting a multiple of 6 drives of certain type and install them in all three cages in pairs.

So something like this would be OK?
Code:
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9 10 11 12  13  14  15  16 17 18 19 20  21  22 23 24
SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC FC FC SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC SSD SSD FC FC 

SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC FC FC SSD SSD FC FC FC FC SSD SSD FC FC

SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC FC FC SSD SSD SSD SSD FC FC FC FC SSD SSD FC FC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 am 

Yes.