HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR 7400 power supply question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 pm 

Hello,

I am new to 3PAR world.

I have a question on the Power control units on the back of the storage units.

There are two PCMs for each storage shelf (one on the far left and one on the far right). Are these providing power redundancy? i.e if power is lost to the left, the right one will keep the system( Or the unit associated with it) up and running? If so, can I remove the power cable for one module and place in on a different circuit?

We noticed some of the PCMs are connected to same power circuits at the data center. Both left and right PCMs are connect to same power circuit. So want to connect the Left PCM to Power Circuit A and right PCM to Power circuit B.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 3PAR 7400 power supply question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 am 

Hi, yes, you are right. You should connect each power supply to different circuit to have redundancy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:17 pm 

Thank you. Can you clarify if I can remove power on one side and move it to a different circuit without interrupting 3PAR system availability? Or is it safe to shutdown entire 3PAR and move the power cables?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am 

This should be fine, we've done the same with our 8400 arrays after realizing the PDUs weren't wired the same as we thought. :)

If live and you don't have a mirrored pair (to flip the volumes over via Peer Persistence) then I'd maybe state an at risk period and do a single cable at a time and check PSU lights for each.

PS the power down events will probably raise alerts with HPE support, typically they'll check the current logs to see the power is back and let you know they'll monitor for time and ask if any work occurred in the DC.

PPS Watch out for any physical Service Processor server associated with the array, they typically only have a single PSU and the 1U form factor makes them blend in with the other dual PSU units, just don't pull that while working down the rack thinking one plug is fine. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm 

Thank you. I am going to visually examine 3PAR for physical SP. Is there a way to verify via CLI commands if SP server exists? I noticed some VMs are created specifically for 3par.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 am 

I've not spotted a SP related command on the CLI, I'd maybe look for the user connection with;

showuserconn

Look for an IP that is not your SSMC/IMC/CLI boxes.

Although I noticed that the behavior changes between 3PAR 3.2.2 and 3.3.1;

showversion

On 3.3.1 the SP seems to be connected all the time, on 3.2.2 I think it only logins occasionally to gather some logs and then logouts (making it hard to spot).

Also something that might work is checking the event log for the SP user running commands;

showeventlog -msg 3parsvc.* -min 240

Should show the IP there too.

I can't remember if the virtual SP was an option when the 7000 was first released, we've always ended up with physical ones, hopefully you can track it down either way via the IP. :)