HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: No Compression Option for VV
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 pm 

Hi All,

We are running an All-flash 8200 2N unit and we use to have a DECO (Dedupe and Compression) volume and another VV with just compression on it, but compression was removed from both VV's when 3PAR had that big debacle last year about corrupt meta data on DECO volumes. (HPE Support remote connected and disabled it via CLI)

We eventually updated to the patch level that fixed the DECO volume issue but I wasn't game to turn compression back on straight away.

I have since upgraded to 3.3.1 MU2 with latest patches applied and would like to enable compression but I am not able to see it listed as an option when editing the VV's. This is from the webgui using SSMC.

I did notice this after the last update that I wasn't able to enable it either so it's not a result of the latest update.

It may be that I can only enable compression on active VV's via the CLI? Even so, if I try and create a new VV, I only get the dedupe option, there is no compression option and this has been the case since HPE support disabled it on the active VV's months ago.

I was planning on creating new VV's from scratch and migrating the data across onto the new DECO and new Compression only VV's.

I have submitted an HPE support case but thought I'd raise the question here as well in case anyone else has experienced a similar issue?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Ben

Post subject: Re: No Compression Option for VV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:17 am 

I think you can disable compression system-wide. With

Code:
showsys -param

you can check, among other parameters, if DisableCompr is set to yes.

If so, I guess you can enable it again, please have a look at the cli guide for it (probably "setsys").

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

apol wrote:
I think you can disable compression system-wide. With

Code:
showsys -param

you can check, among other parameters, if DisableCompr is set to yes.

If so, I guess you can enable it again, please have a look at the cli guide for it (probably "setsys").

Hi apol,

You look to be on the money there.

DisableCompr is set to yes.

Can this be turned off without issue to active VV's? And will I need to run a tunesys or anything after?

HPE support haven't been much chop. Even after pointing out what you raised above they didn't answer if I could re-enable it or not, so I've asked again.

Cheers,
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 am 

Hi,

I honestly don't have any idea if you should or could change this setting. We never used one of those "big" switches in system parameters and don't use compression. Sorry.

I'd double check with HPE support.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions apol. I tried changing that option but it won't take.

And FYI - A further update:

I have a support ticket open with HPE and they've finally come back to me after a few weeks passing the buck, saying that it cannot be re-enabled once disabled and I will need to follow the OOTB procedure to get it turned back on.

I'm not very happy about this. Compression was turned off by HPE at their own discretion due to issues they were apparently having with an OS version/patch. And considering all they have done is send a URL through saying I need to follow it really gets my goat up.

I've just read the following warning for the OOTB procedure:

WARNING: Proceeding with the system setup script causes complete and irrecoverable loss of data.
Do not perform this procedure on a system that has already undergone the system setup.

Thousands of dollars a year in support and they send me a link saying I need to factory reset our production system myself. Yeah thanks HPE :roll: pathetic...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:20 am 

ben.g wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions apol. I tried changing that option but it won't take.

I have a support ticket open with HPE and they've finally come back to me after a few weeks passing the buck, saying that it cannot be re-enabled once disabled and I will need to follow the OOTB procedure to get it turned back on.

I'm not very happy about this. Compression was turned off by HPE at their own discretion due to issues they were apparently having with an OS version/patch. And considering all they have done is send a URL through saying I need to follow it really gets my goat up.

WARNING: Proceeding with the system setup script causes complete and irrecoverable loss of data.
Do not perform this procedure on a system that has already undergone the system setup.

Thousands of dollars a year in support and they send me a link saying I need to factory reset our production system myself. Yeah thanks HPE :roll: pathetic...

If that was me I would raise this issue with my sales rep. By disabling compression your getting less capacity then you paid for. If they don’t fix it or give you capacity similar to what you’re loosing for free (and for any future upgrades) they could come pick it up with a full refund.

Someone shit their pants and you shouldn’t be left to clean up the mess. If they didn’t want you do use compression you could have just stopped using it. No need to disable it globally.

Edit: just a thought, what happens when you try to change the setting? I know for personaprofile all nodes needed to be rebooted(not at the same time of course) afterwards for it to take effect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:56 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
ben.g wrote:

If that was me I would raise this issue with my sales rep. By disabling compression your getting less capacity then you paid for. If they don’t fix it or give you capacity similar to what you’re loosing for free (and for any future upgrades) they could come pick it up with a full refund.

Someone shit their pants and you shouldn’t be left to clean up the mess. If they didn’t want you do use compression you could have just stopped using it. No need to disable it globally.

Edit: just a thought, what happens when you try to change the setting? I know for personaprofile all nodes needed to be rebooted(not at the same time of course) afterwards for it to take effect.

Thanks for the support MammaGutt, I was going to only use HPE support but your suggestion to use our Sales Rep is a good one, they usually can put more pressure on HPE than an end consumer can.

I tried setsys DisableCompr no but receive Error: Compression cannot be turned on

Cheers,
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:20 am 

Hi,

Apologies for dragging up an old topic, but struggling to find an answer else where

I have a number of VV that we have migrated (Peer Motion) from a 7400 to our new 8440, I would like to enable Dedupe and Compression

I have been able to do the dedupe with the command

tunevv usr_cpg $CPG -tdvv $vvname

DisableCompr is set to NO and I can create a DECO VV via the GUI or CLI

I have tried the command

tunevv usr_cpg $CPG -tdvv -compr $vvname

but this just coverted the VV to TDVV from TPVV

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:19 pm 

Have you tried contacting support?

you need 3.3.1 MU2 to do DeCo Volumes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 am 

Silly question ... is the CPG SSD ? you need that for dedupe.