HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: AIX Migration: VNX to 3PAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am 

I'm looking at the HPE Online Import docs and my head is spinning. It's cool that they can orchestrate a vMotion-style live migration but the prep work is pretty heavy and the migration seems risky.

We're not hugely downtime-averse -- we can declare perhaps 24-36 hours of downtime if necessary. Can the import utility faithfully copy a LUN without all the automation razzmatazz? We're trying to figure out the best migration path and we're considering either (a) presentation of new greenfield LUNs to AIX and migrating the data within AIX or (b) using a VM running something like Clonezilla to effect a block-for-block (forensic) copy of the LUNs then bringing AIX back online pointed to the copies.

I can't even spell AIX and our offshore AIX admins sometimes have trouble articulating strategy so there's a disconnect that's making this process somewhat difficult...

Post subject: Re: AIX Migration: VNX to 3PAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:32 pm 

If I was an AIX admin (or had an AIX admin I really trusted) I would use LVM within AIX for a smooth and fully online migration.

If that wasn't an option I would look at Online Import and if your VNX ticks all the boxes for support, I would definitely go down that route rather than Clonezilla. If your AIX ticks all the boxes I would even do it online... I'm guessing this would fall under MDM (Minimally Disruptive Migration) that requires the host to be shutdown and unzoned from the VNX during the start of the migration.

I've used Online Import multiple times for EVAs and for the most part it is basically the same as Peer Motion/federation which I've used even more times. Never had any issues with data consistency.

Post subject: Re: AIX Migration: VNX to 3PAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:18 pm 

Thanks for the input. This does make me a bit more confident about using the Online Import package. I'll have to try it against a test LUN next week.