HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3.3.1 MU2 planned tomorrow on our test/dev 3PAR 8400
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:38 am 

Hi everybody,

As mentionned in the title, we planned with HPE support the upgrade to 3.3.1 MU2 on our first 3PAR 8400.

Support said us we are eligible for an online upgrade.
is there someone issued some problem with the online upgrade method ? like ESXi host disconnection storage.

We have a HPE SAN Synergy ( Hosts: HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 )

Other question: what about compression feature on 3PAR with 3.3.1 MU2, can we activate it without risk now ?

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks

Speedypizz75
Switzerland

Post subject: Re: 3.3.1 MU2 planned tomorrow on our test/dev 3PAR 8400
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 am 

Are these 4 node 8400 arrays? If so and you have all the recommended settings, versions, patches, paths etc from the HPE 3PAR ESX guide and SPOCK then online is typically transparent to host arrays and they won't see anything (although we've not done 3.3.1 here yet but it should be the same as others).

However if you aren't configured correctly there can be issues, HPE typically send you all the latest things to check when you submit an upgrade case.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:05 am 

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes indeed, we have 4 nodes on each 3PAR, and everytime we applied last critical patches like P15,P21, and even the famous "P18" :o we never encountered disconnection between hosts and Datastores(vv 3PAR).

i suppose applying an upgrade MU is the same method than Patches, one node after one.

Just an another question:
What do you think about one of these recommandations mentionned in the checklist sended by the support ?

"Mandatory Pre-Upgrade Recommendations for a successful upgrade:
Host disconnects due to ATS timeout while running VMware vSphere 5.5 Update 2 and Later
Customer Advisory

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c05228694

i checked on our ESXi's, and i don't see any error messages as mentionned in this communication, do you think it's enough to validate the check ? i am not sure.

Thanks for your time.

Speedypizz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 am 

Hi

We just updated a 8200 to MU2, with a couple of ESXi 6.5 U1 hosts - I did not disable the ATS heatbeat and did not see any issues...

Quite frankly I am not sure HPE's recommendation are completely up to date, with the enhancements VMware made to ATS heartbeat in ESXi 6.5, as mentioned here

https://cormachogan.com/2017/08/24/ats- ... phere-6-5/

However of cause maybe HPE still have knowledge of some issues related to ATS heartbeat, even in ESXi 6.5...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 am 

The main difference between P patches and MU/version patches is that P patches don't require any Nodes to reboot, making them very 'light' impact wise.

It used to be that version changes required 2 nodes (one from each pair) to reboot at the same time but even that worked okay for us, however in recent code all MU and version patches now only require a single Node reboot at a time.

With 4 nodes and persistent cache/port features performance and host paths tend to be stable during the Node reboots so long as everything is configured okay.

We also didn't see much ATS issues so our VMware team decided to risk it without the changes last MU install, HPE tend to be on the cautious side and the notes have to cover a lot of mixed version environments and yes they often don't update individual issues with 'fixed in esx x.x', safe is better then sorry in production though. ;)