HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: move virtual volumes from one CPG to another CPG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:58 pm 

Trying to do some cleanup from the previous F400 admins. Need to consolidate our virtual volumes from many, many CPGs, to only a few.

I see the convert option available, but that appears to be only for Thin to Full or Full to Thin. Is there another way?

When I try to edit the vv, User CPG is greyed out...not available to change.

Post subject: Re: move virtual volumes from one CPG to another CPG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:11 pm 

Right click on the vvol under provisioning and select tune virtual volume and you'll be able to select a target CPG. Note if you're using AO that this will pull the entire vvol no matter what tier and place it into the tier of the target CPG so you can run a tier out of space if you're not careful. If you'd prefer CLI then tunevvol is the command you're interested in. Note that this is a licensed feature so you'll have to have the AO suite or I believe there's an individual license available (just get the AO suite, it's worth it).

Post subject: Re: move virtual volumes from one CPG to another CPG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm 

afidel wrote:
Right click on the vvol under provisioning and select tune virtual volume and you'll be able to select a target CPG. Note if you're using AO that this will pull the entire vvol no matter what tier and place it into the tier of the target CPG so you can run a tier out of space if you're not careful. If you'd prefer CLI then tunevvol is the command you're interested in. Note that this is a licensed feature so you'll have to have the AO suite or I believe there's an individual license available (just get the AO suite, it's worth it).

We got some temp licenses for our old F400...and you are right! It is worth. Very slick tool. Never worked on a 3PAR before my current position, and I really like the platform and software compared to the half-dozen other platforms I've done.

Thanks for the tip! :idea: