HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Monitor our 3Par system
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:05 am 

We just installed a 3PAR system and everything seems to be working well. We have a hybrid system with SSD and spinning disks. The system is auto-tuned at this point. How can we see what's being thrown to the SSD's? I have some processes that don't seem to be any faster and I thought that they would be blown out of the water with the fast SSD. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Monitor our 3Par system
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Will need more details about your configuration, specifically your AO policies... in my situation, we provision all our LUNS to spinning disk, then use an AO policy set to "performance mode" to move as much data up to SSD as possible... Our SSD CPG has no VVs directly assigned to it, so we set our tier zero gb limit in the policy to use all of our SSD gigabytes. All said and done, we can verify that its working by watching how much SSD total is in use.

As for monitoring how much of which VV is on SSD, I believe you would use System Reporert's Adaptive Optimization reports to see what % of a lun is SSD vs Disk.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
Will need more details about your configuration, specifically your AO policies... in my situation, we provision all our LUNS to spinning disk, then use an AO policy set to "performance mode" to move as much data up to SSD as possible... Our SSD CPG has no VVs directly assigned to it, so we set our tier zero gb limit in the policy to use all of our SSD gigabytes. All said and done, we can verify that its working by watching how much SSD total is in use.

As for monitoring how much of which VV is on SSD, I believe you would use System Reporert's Adaptive Optimization reports to see what % of a lun is SSD vs Disk.

Better to just look at Provisioning->Virtual Volumes->CPG Space, this will allow you to see how much space each VVol is taking on each of its assigned CPGs.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

afidel wrote:
Better to just look at Provisioning->Virtual Volumes->CPG Space, this will allow you to see how much space each VVol is taking on each of its assigned CPGs.

Nice, that is much better, thanks for that share.