HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Implications of "Periodic Sync Took More That Sync Period"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 am 

Most of my Remote Copy Groups have a periodic sync period of 15 minutes. I occasionally get an alert stating that a "Periodic Sync Took More That Sync Period". I would say the majority of syncs complete within the period though. Assuming the data change rate stays the same on the source VVs I would not expect increasing the sync period to make a difference. To test this I changed one of the repeat offenders to a 30 minute sync period and continued to get the alert occasionally.

Why is there even an option to set the sync period with 3PAR RC? What I want is simply best effort asnyc replication with buffering similar to EVA Continuous Access. I suspect once I get the throughput issues on my IP link resolved this problem will go away but I am curious what the implications are of a wrap like this? Does the group just stay in a constant state of syncing until it catches up? If that is the case then maybe that is what I have - a best effort at the defined sync period and if it can't make that it buffers and plows ahead until it get things sync'd (or not). Thoughts?