HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Can't create a volume although there is plenty of space
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:21 am 

Here is the message I get when trying to create a volume:
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 22.18 KiB | Viewed 20607 times ]

I think I know WHY. I don't know how to remedy. We initially populated the 3par system with (64) 600GB drives. After filling up most of that storage we added another (64) 600GB drives. I can see that those first 64 drives are all at 99% or 100% full. So I'm guessing that given "raid 5, set size 4" there isn't enough room on those first 64 drives to spread the data out enough.

We don't have licenses for Dynamic Optimization or Adaptive Optimization. Is there any way to redistribute the existing volumes evenly across all disks?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Can't create a volume although there is plenty of space
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have the tunesys command?

I have heard that this works outside of D.O. licensing, but have not confirmed it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:11 am 

No. The CLI says that it requires Dynamic Optimization license.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

In that case, ask your sales engineer for a eval license key.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am 

I'm being told by the sales rep that I can manually run tunesys without a DO license for redistribution after adding physical disks (which is what I need it for). Yet the CLI says I'm not licensed and need DO license. I have Inform OS v3.1.1 MU2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 pm 

From memory you need to be at 3.1.2 to benefit from tunesys without a DO license. Simplest method is as above, ask your Rep for a eval or NFR license for DO. Once you go 3.1.2 and above you get tunesys for free, but it doesn't have the flexibility of DO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 pm 

BTW you didn't mention the model or enclosure layout. Port level availability is the highest level of availability used to maintain cage level availability across daisy chained loops on older systems. On newer non daisy chained systems, port is equivalent to cage.

But it seems either the drives have not fully initialized or port level layout is no longer maintainable in the current layout. I would get your SE/Presales to check what's happening as you may need to adjust the CPG parameters to take full advantage of the new space. Any change would still require DO so you should still request the trial license.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 am 

It should not matte that there is no space on the first 64 drives is they and the new drives are all in the CPG. Even if you have Cage or Port HA and it could not fulfill that it should not deny the growth it will just generate a warning that it could not maintain the HA level specified. Check your Growth Increment, there was a bug (impacted by AO usually) where the Growth Increment would get corrupted and changed in to some really large unrealistic numbers, it should be that the CPG is trying to grow based on a bad Growth Increment and thus can not. We got burned by that and actually had to shut AO off because AO would run then Compact CPG would run and the Growth Increments would get all corrupted.