HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: tunesys and disks capacity
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hi.

I have a 7200 with 52 900GB 10K hard disks, the average of disk occupation was 62%, all volumes are thin provisioning with total of 24TB, the CPG Allocated Capacity is 25TB.

On last Wednesday I installed new 20 900GB 10K hard disks. After install HDs, I executed tunesys with default options and today it has completed the process but the allocate percentage is 89% and some of disk have 99%

The volumes/CPG and thinly provisioned volumes graphs show 50TB of space occupied.

I don't understand this situation, I supposed when I add new hard disks the data split across all disk distributing all of information.

Post subject: Re: tunesys and disks capacity
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 am 

After reviewing all configuration and remembering the task I did, the problem is that all of the GPC change RAID 5 to RAID 1.

After installing the hard drives, I can change the speed to 10K rpm from automatic in CPGs because I read this best pactice before running tunesys, and I don't know if I change or not the type of RAID RAID 1 (default) to RAID 5 (existing)

Now the tunesys is running again.

Thank you very much

Post subject: Re: tunesys and disks capacity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm 

Wait, so you were 62% space utilized, you add some disks and kicked off tunesys, and you came in Monday to find it now >90%? ..... I bet that was a pucker moment! LOL ... good catch on the changing RAID levels.