HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Physical ports on Service Processor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:19 pm 

Hi all. 1st post and 1st time soon to be user of 3PAR 7400. I have a hopefully easy to answer question. We just ordered a 3PAR 7400 and opt'd to get the 3PAR physical service processor (QR516B). Does anyone know how many physical network ports there are on the back of this thing? I have had no luck finding pictures of the back. There appears to be no actual documentation on the HP website even indicating how much power this draws. :?: Any help would be appreciated as we have to request network ports/IPs/power very soon before everything lands.

Post subject: Re: Physical ports on Service Processor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

There is 1 ethernet port to attach to your network so it can talk to your 7200 and https out to HP-3PAR.
The 2nd ethernet port is for visiting onsite technicians to attach to for service.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I hypothesize the reason you will not find any specs on these little gems at the HP website is because they are not HP brand servers.

Its looks alot like this one from SuperMicro:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/syst ... 015B-T.cfm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:04 pm 

We just had several 3PAR 7400 arrays installed with individual physical service processors. The base model of each is a HP ProLiant DL320e Gen8, a Xeon E3 equipped with a single hard drive.

Here's a photo of one of the units from the rear:

For power, our PDU's are reporting each is pulling around 0.3-0.4A @ 208V, so about a reasonable 60-80W of power. Each has only a single power supply, so don't expect any redundancy. I know that the DL320e does support redundant power supplies, but I doubt HP would make that an available upgrade for the service processor.

Networking requires only a single Ethernet port, which is used to connect up through your firewall to report back to HP, and to allow HP to perform remote diagnostic functions. The other Ethernet port is used for servicing by HP technicians. A serial console port is also available, but we were told it shouldn't remain connected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

I was wondering when they would switch from SuperMicro to HP brand hardware for the service processors. Thanks for sharing.