HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Scheduled Reports in System Reporter 3.1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 am 

Hello,

If you read my last posts I finally got System Reporter up and running. I am able to generate quick reports so I know the sampling in working. But I am having a hard time with Scheduled Reports.

1) What report is being ran in Scheduled reports?
2) Can you tell it to run a certain report or do I create a specific report for it?
3) What do I put in the Report URL and what is it for?

I have read the #par System Reporter 3.1 Software User Guide, But I found the instructions vague.

Any help would be appreicated.

Post subject: Re: Scheduled Reports in System Reporter 3.1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm 

1)For scheduled reports you need to click on the "Policy Settings" of the main screen, that will launch another tab and in the "Scheduled Reports" tab there you can now create individual reports by clicking the "Add Scheduled Report" option. Keep in mind that each selection for Date, Week Day and Hour needs to have a selection made. The Directory and Name fields allow the site to have a hierarchy of reports categorized as you see fit.

2)You basically use the custom reports option to generate the specific report you want. Some advice, watch the "Begin/At" and "End" times. these will be used at the time you scheduled the report to run. So for use we consider our business day to be from 7am until 7pm so most of my business day reports have the "Begin At" time set to "12 hours ago" and the "End Time" to "Most Recent" that assures that when my report runs every day at 7pm it is getting the previous 12 hours of data. For my true daily reports I run then at 12:00am and they have "Begin At" set to "24 hours ago"

3)For the "Report URL" you need to generate the ad hoc report you want then copy the URL from the result and paste it into the "Report URL Parameters:. You remove the http:// portion of the URL.

We run very detailed reports on out key database volumes and then also run port level reports to get overall usage for certain environments since our VMs are presented through one set of port, our AIX through another and then our databases through another allowing us to segregate IOPS and service time by workload without having to constantly update reports based on VVs.

SR is a great tools, although a tad quirky. We publish the URL for all the reports to the application people so they can see how the array is performing. Note that SR is weak with security, there is a process int he book to protect part of the apache web site with a password, otherwise anyone can edit/change reports. We allow read access to the reports, but requires a password to get to the pages that set up the scheduled reports.

Attachments:
sample report.png
sample report.png [ 96.71 KiB | Viewed 17103 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

Thanks for the help, got it working. The Screen Shot helps also

Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:46 am 

This post helps but has anyone able to send the report via email?
I have schedule a report OK but it was not sent the report to the recipients.
Looking to test email but the SR does not provide a way to test email sending report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:33 am 

If I recall the report does not go via email you get some sort of notification and/or link to the report. We tried it and did not find it very useful.