HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HP-UX 3PAR Issue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm 

Trying to get an HP Superdome running 11.31 IA connected to a V800 running 3.1.1 MU2. The QLOGIC HBA on the server side listed in SPOCK as supported, the firmware is a little old but not ancient, and driver is the same. Its connected to 2 X 48k Brocade Directors. I am able to see the Superdome on the fabric, I am able to zone it to the Host Port on the V800 but the V800 cannot see it. I have run a controlport nsync to force a resync of the host port, and then completed a showportdev all N:S:P and the WWN does not show up. This is the First HP-UX that we have tried to connect. Are last attempt is going to upgrade the Firmware and Driver but that could be a huge fiasco. Anyone have any suggestions or seen anything like this? Seems like it is something simple.

Thanks,

JD

Post subject: Re: HP-UX 3PAR Issue
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:28 am 

After you created the HP-UX host on 3PAR and zoned the host ports with the 3PAR ports, did you run an ioscan -fn on HP-UX?

mugurs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am 

Yes. The ioscan was completed. I am perplexed by this for the fact that:

1. Its logged in the fabric.
2. I was able to zone it to the host ports on the V800.
3. The card is installed correctly and showed to be "claimed" by the OS.

We double checked all the system requirments and everything is within specification. At HPs request we bounced one of the two servers to see if it cleared the problem. We even tried to connected to our old T800 with the same results.

I was hoping for some input from one of the HP-UX gurus out there.

Thanks in advance,

JD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 am 

I was talking about ioscan because, from what I observed, and not only on HP-UX but also on AIX or OpenVMS, until we didn't do a rescan of all the devices attached on the HBAs, we couldn't export any LUN to respective hosts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:18 am 

Yeah I can't even see the WWNs on the 3par even though it is zoned to the host ports. Even if I do a controlport nsync then go back and do a showportdev -all N:S:P it doesnt show up. Frustrating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 pm 

We ran into this today on a brand spanking new 10800 we just brought online. As it turns out HP Unix at least in our case does not auto populate the WWNs on the array. You need to manually enter them. We manually entered them for our test box and the new vVolumes exported just fine.

I over heard a co worker describing his problem and recalled this thread. Give it a try. Hopefully it resolves your issue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:21 am 

When I said "created the HP-UX host on 3PAR" this was what I ment: adding by some way (automatically or manually) the WWNs of the host in the definition of the host on 3PAR.
From "HP 3PAR HP-UX Implementation Guide" an example:
createhost -persona 7 hpux-host 1122334455667788 1122334455667799
For other OSes (AIX, OpenVMS) as well we had to manually enter the WWNs of the host. The only WWNs that automatically appeared after we made zones were from Linux.

Regards,
Mugur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 am 

Interesting. I saw that and it even threw a flag up to the HP support guy. I double checked the Windows Implementation guide and it has the admin putting in the WWN manually as well. We never have manually put in WWNs for any host. I will give it a shot. Thanks all for the responses. I will post if it works.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 am 

Well that didn't work either. But I did fix it. Just by chance I disabled the fibre ports on the 48k connected to the SuperDome and then they showed up. Never had to do this before. Oh well put this into the tech journal. Thanks again for everyones help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm 

I created two new host HPUX 11v3, both entering the WWNs manually.

The first worked perfectly, but the second one appeared as not connected in de MC. After checking the zonification a dozen of times I executed
Code:
ioscan
on the server and it did the job.

Hope this help someone.