HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: VM Disk Errors
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:15 am 

Good day.
we recently started receiving up to 10 warning messages a day from veeam one regarding "vm disk errors". we are almost certain that the error is coming from the volumes provided by our 3par. however, no errors are visible on the 3par itself. does anyone have any ideas?

we run a "3par 7400" with two controller nodes.
thank you for your help

Post subject: Re: VM Disk Errors
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:21 am 

misterlucio wrote:
Good day.
we recently started receiving up to 10 warning messages a day from veeam one regarding "vm disk errors". we are almost certain that the error is coming from the volumes provided by our 3par. however, no errors are visible on the 3par itself. does anyone have any ideas?

we run a "3par 7400" with two controller nodes.
thank you for your help

Impossible to say anything without more details. The "VM disk error" is a value Veeam is polling from the virtualization host. I'm assuming you're not using direct integration between 3PAR and virtualization vendor. I might start with checking for recent changes in the environment or starting by logging a call with Veeam. They would let you know which parameters they're polling and where to go next (with the virtualization vendor) and they would let you know where to go next...... It could be as simple as performance issue, it could be as simple as someone updating something in the environment that wasn't supported with another component in the environment or you could have some serious issues going on in your environment that you are unaware of.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 am 

Thank you for your reply.

4 out of 6 hosts have the operating system installed on the internal RAID1. the other 2 hosts have the operating system installed on a volume of the 3par. the "vm disk erros" appear on all hosts. the 3par continues to report no problems. we have already restarted one node from the two controller nodes so that the other is the active one. the problems continue. in between is another SAN switch (Cisco NX-OS(tm) m9100). this also reports no errors.

the next step will be that we don't need the san switch anymore, but connect the 3par and the blade system directly. basically the san switch is not really needed anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:40 am 

misterlucio wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

4 out of 6 hosts have the operating system installed on the internal RAID1. the other 2 hosts have the operating system installed on a volume of the 3par. the "vm disk erros" appear on all hosts. the 3par continues to report no problems. we have already restarted one node from the two controller nodes so that the other is the active one. the problems continue. in between is another SAN switch (Cisco NX-OS(tm) m9100). this also reports no errors.

the next step will be that we don't need the san switch anymore, but connect the 3par and the blade system directly. basically the san switch is not really needed anymore.

In a 3PAR system, all nodes are active and serving IO (one hold the master role which is basically management networking). So that reboot of a node did nothing.

Do you understand what Veeam considers «VM disk errors»? I might be wrong but my understanding is that this is a very wide term and the counter doesn’t have to mean an actual error but simply something «not optimal». So unless you are sure about what the counter means I would start by logging a case with veeam. Eliminating other stuff doesn’t really help you because if/when it disappears you have no idea what the actual problem or resolution was.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:03 am 

unfortunately we only use the veeam one community edition. we are thinking about getting the paid version so we can open a case at veeam. first of all thank you very much for the great support. i will get back to you soon when you have more info.