HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 7400 Spare Parts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:31 pm 

So I have two 7400's going Eos next year and I've spent most of my time emptying them as we speak onto their replacements. With that said, we're wanting to turn one into a lab and use the second as spare parts for the first.

Both units are 7400's with roughly 216 disks each. Bit large for a lab, but I'd be afraid to downsize without a factory reset. With that in mind, I'm guessing I need to factory reset the unit I'm pulling out to use for spare parts. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great. The main thing is to keep it from rejecting disks removed from the other system. I assume nodes can be replaced like former nodes (SSD swap).

Second question is if I'll have any issues leaving one turned off for an extended length of time, or should I power it back on and just leave it running with no data being moved? I know we're not talking tubes, but spinning things tend to not like spinning after sitting for a long time.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 7400 Spare Parts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:47 am 

Namlehse wrote:
So I have two 7400's going Eos next year and I've spent most of my time emptying them as we speak onto their replacements. With that said, we're wanting to turn one into a lab and use the second as spare parts for the first.

Both units are 7400's with roughly 216 disks each. Bit large for a lab, but I'd be afraid to downsize without a factory reset. With that in mind, I'm guessing I need to factory reset the unit I'm pulling out to use for spare parts. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great. The main thing is to keep it from rejecting disks removed from the other system. I assume nodes can be replaced like former nodes (SSD swap).

Second question is if I'll have any issues leaving one turned off for an extended length of time, or should I power it back on and just leave it running with no data being moved? I know we're not talking tubes, but spinning things tend to not like spinning after sitting for a long time.

Thanks

Best way is to connect to the serial port and logon with console user and run back in the box. If you are running a fairly new 3PAR OS you need to get the password for console generated by HPE support.

I wouldn't be worried about leaving things off for a long time, but I'm always worried about removing power fron anything running for a long time.