HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HPe Ressources without Support Contract
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:19 am 

Hello,

my name is Korbi and I work for a small IT company in Germany (Bavaria), we use VMWare Horizon for desktop virtualization and operate a total of approx. 200 VMs. We want to get away from the current Starwind VSAN solution, which is a disaster in terms of performance. So we bought a used 3par 7400 4node system with 6x M6710 shelves. I have already successfully wired the system. The problem now is that we cannot get the software resources for the setup because we do not have a support contract with HP. Among other things, we would need the SPP for VMWare and the SmartStart DVD. Would someone be so kind to provide us with the resources via Dropbox or something similar? As a small IT company, we don't have the budget to buy a support contract from HP.

Greetings from Bavaria,

Korbi

Post subject: Re: HPe Ressources without Support Contract
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:57 pm 

FC shouldn't need any special software to work. iSCSI should work without anything special, just set the policy in vmware to round-robin and IOPS to 1.

On the VMware side for iSCSI, you can create a policy on each host to set this up for you automatically.

Code:
esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -s "VMW_SATP_ALUA" -P "VMW_PSP_RR" -O iops=1 -c "tpgs_on" -V "3PARdata" -M "VV" -e "HP 3PAR custom SATP Claimrule"

As far as the patches and management vm go, it is not very straight forward if you aren't familiar with the platform. Even then, you'll be able to reach a certain point and then need to switch between the customer and var account or even be stuck unless you contact support for some shell script to fix a bug to get past some points. I've gotten to the point where all our 7000 series arrays are stable, they are isolated only to a few devices on the network and they will spin with 3rd party maintenance until they get retired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 am 

Hi,

thank you for the answer.
We want to run the storage via FC and have bought 2 AM868B SAN switches for this purpose. Currently the problem is that I cannot set the controller's IPs without the Service Processor and therefore cannot access the web interface or is there another option?

Greetings,

Korbi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:27 am 

Korbi wrote:
Hi,

thank you for the answer.
We want to run the storage via FC and have bought 2 AM868B SAN switches for this purpose. Currently the problem is that I cannot set the controller's IPs without the Service Processor and therefore cannot access the web interface or is there another option?

Greetings,

Korbi

Console cable.

There is no web interface on the 3PAR itself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

This link may be helpful for getting connected with the console and running the OOTB process to set the IP and initialize an array:

http://infrastructurewarfare.com/guides ... -defaults/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:08 pm 

Personally I would cut your losses with the 7400 ... yes it will do want you want, but why would you want to run a business critical function on unsupported equipment ? (and already old equipment)
- I'd also hope you aren't planning on hosting your own customers VDIs on the array, that would be dumberer.

If it were me ... I would return the 7400 to where you got it for a refund, then approach one of the smaller NAS companies (Thecus aren't too bad for performance and price, synology and Qnap also do good SMB sized units), get yourself something that doesn't rely on support forums to make it work and comes with a nice new warranty.

10Gbe iSCSI works very well and is cheaper to implement than FC, the Starwind product you have should work fine if setup properly (you went free or paid ?).

Reading my post it does come across as negative sounding :-) I'm maybe trying to say that spend the effort in designing a solution that will work, then spend the money .. 80% design, 20% implementation (not the other way around).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 am 

Hi,

thanks to everyone for the answers. A member of the forum provided us with a contact to a capable man. With him we found that 1 controller is defective and 1 controller comes from another system. So we sent the system back and bought an almost new 8200 2-node from the contact.

Greetings,

Korbi