HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par replication groups and vmware srm
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:21 am 

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie about the 3par remote copy group and I have a couple of questions to ask you.
I have to implement a solution based on 2 3par 8200 and vmware srm with asynchronous replication.
In the two 3 par there are 3 cpg.
The first cpg is configured in raid 6 with 2tb nl disks.
The second cpg is configured in raid 5 with 300 gb to 15k sas disks.
The third cpg is configured in raid 1 with 300 gb to 15k sas disks.
The hpe staff configured the replication between the two 3par and created a remote test group with a volume inside.
I want to configure the solution granularly.
I want to create different remote copy groups according to the various applications
For example, I want to create a remote copy group containing vm that act as a file server.
I want to create another remote copy group for mail servers.
I want to craere another remote copy group for sharepoint servers.
In short, I want to create more remote copy groups depending on the applications.
I want to do this configuration in such a way that within srm I can do more protection groups and more recovery plans.
My question is:
Can I implement more remote copy groups that point to the same cpg?
For example, I am a web solution consisting of a front end and a back end.
The front-end vm was installed on a raid 5 virtual volume called front (cpg in raid 5 with sas 300 gb disks at 15k).
The vm that acts as a back end was installed on a virtual volume in raid 5 called back (cpg in raid 5 with disks sas 300 gb at 15k)
I want to create a remote copy group called web applications, in asynchronous replication, in which I insert the two virtual volumes.
I create a protection group web applications and a recovry plan web application at srm level.
In this way through srm they can do the web application disater recovery.
I have two file servers installed on a virtual volume in raid 5 called file which uses the same cpg as the two vm front end and back end (cpg in raid 5 with disas sas 300 gb at 15k).
I would like to have a new remote copy group called file server and put the file server virtual volume into it.
I create a protection group file server and a recovery group file server at srm level.
In this way I can migrate or just either the web application or the file servers.
Is it therefore possible to create 2 remote copy gorups that use the same cpg group?

Thanks

Regards

Post subject: Re: 3par replication groups and vmware srm
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:45 am 

Yes, you can have multiple RC towards the same CPG.

Frankly, the RC groups are only focused on volumes, so there is actually no connection between RC and CPGs. You can even have volumes in different CPGs in the same Rc group.

Just asking, are you planning on using adaptive optimization? In that case it is not recommended to have the same disks in multiple tiers (ie R1 300GB 15k as tier0 and R5 300GB 15k as Tier1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
Yes, you can have multiple RC towards the same CPG.

Frankly, the RC groups are only focused on volumes, so there is actually no connection between RC and CPGs. You can even have volumes in different CPGs in the same Rc group.

Just asking, are you planning on using adaptive optimization? In that case it is not recommended to have the same disks in multiple tiers (ie R1 300GB 15k as tier0 and R5 300GB 15k as Tier1)

Thanks for the reply.
So if I migrate a remote copy groups only the volumes inside it are migrated and not all the volumes that use the same cpg. Correct?

Thanks

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 pm 

I assume you mean replicate and not migrate. In that case, yes you are correct.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:02 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
I assume you mean replicate and not migrate. In that case, yes you are correct.

Thanks for the reply,
what I wanted to say is that if I run for example in srm the recovery plans file server the 3par only reverses the sense of replication for that remote copy groups and not for remote groups web applications even if the two remote copy groups share the same cpg .It's correct?

Thanks

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 pm 

Remote copy has no understanding of CPGs. Remote copy groups contains volumes and nothing more or less.

If you reverse RC group A, that has no impacton RC group B.

Putting this into other terms. This is the same as saying it doesn't matter if you're using your indicator lights left or right when pushing the accelerator. They are not connected.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:18 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
Remote copy has no understanding of CPGs. Remote copy groups contains volumes and nothing more or less.

If you reverse RC group A, that has no impacton RC group B.

Putting this into other terms. This is the same as saying it doesn't matter if you're using your indicator lights left or right when pushing the accelerator. They are not connected.

Thanks for the answer, now it's all clear.