HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: EVA to 3PAR Online Import
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 am 

Hi,

My company has just purchase a 3PAR 7200 and I am tresting the EVA to 3PAR Online Import tool, in the docs it says to allocate 2 x ports on the 3PAR and 2 x ports on the EVA and zone them up.

On the 3PAR does mean allocate 2 x port in the ports tab under system (see attached pic)?

Does this mean that the 3PAR will only be running slower while the ports are used for migration?

Thanks for your help

Julian

Attachments:
File comment: 3PAR Image of ports tab
3PAR.JPG
3PAR.JPG [ 146.35 KiB | Viewed 17548 times ]
 Post subject: Re: EVA to 3PAR Online Import
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 am 

Hello

You need to dedicate 2 ports on the 3PAR , on 1 node pair.

Unsure if you have used ports : 0:1:3 4 and 1:1:3-4 , if those are free you can just use them.

And they cant be configured as host ports but you have to configure them as Peer Ports.

And you have to zone them against 2 ports on the EVA ( not done a migration from EVA to 3PAR before ) only 3PAR to 3PAR using Peer Motion.

The 3PAR can run slower if its already under heavy load but you can look at the load of the system now and then while doing a test migration.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am 

Hi,

No those ports are not in use, how do I use them? I can't see anyway of adding them only modify exiting ones?

Regards
Julian

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:43 pm 

Sorry about that didn't see that it was a 7200 don't think they have as many ports per node as the V-Series.

You will have to check and see if you have any free HBA connection on any of the two nodepairs.

If not then you need to remove 2 ports on one of the Node pairs or get extra HBA cards from HP if you can insert any more.

From what I can tell you have zoned EUBLADESHVPH22 to both node pairs on 4 ports on each node pair.

So you can easily free up 1 port on each node on one of the nodepairs.

This might affect performance but seeing as you have all zoned to all ports i don't think you should notice much unless the system is already having speed problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 am 

Tip from someone who has used online import: Do the port changes in the CLi. The Gui is very flaky. Frequently compare what the gui is telling you to what the CLi is telling you.

Remember you need to use matching ports so if peer port 1 is (EXAMPLE) 0:1:1 then peer port 2 must be 1:1:1 - try setting 0:1:1 to peer, then check the cli - chances are it will have auto changed the partner port 1:1:1 to peer by itself, this may not be reflected in the GUI.

2xNode 3PAR StoreServ 7200
4xNode 3PAR Storeserv 7400 with LFF and SFF
2xNode 3PAR Storeserv 10400