HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par warranty
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 pm 

Hello all,

I'm looking for the warranty documentation that clearly states that I cannot perform the following:

I have a 7200 with 12x 3TB drives in it.
I have two NL shelves from an 8440 with 24x 6TB drives in it.

I would like to swap the 12x 3TB drives one by one in the 7200 with the 6TB drives from the 8440.

Please note, the drives from the 8440 have been confirmed to be completely compatible with the 7200.

Again, I am not looking for people's opinions upon this subject, all I am looking for is the warranty documentation that states whether I can do this or not.

Post subject: Re: 3par warranty
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 am 

Not sure what you are looking for here exactly.

8000 cages are incompatible with 7000.
8000 drives are not supported in 7000 system even if they might be "compatible". It will not void the warranty of the 7000 to install the 8000 drives but it would be considered not supported and you might not got help until the system is in a supported state.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 am 

Thanks for the reply MammaGutt.

Do you know where the documentation is showing what you are saying ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm 

wmcelwee wrote:
Thanks for the reply MammaGutt.

Do you know where the documentation is showing what you are saying ?

Which part?

The first one seems obvious as there will be no physical damage that makes it possible to prove that they’ve been installed. Second one would probably be hidden somewhere in the worldwide limited warranty document for storage products.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:12 am 
Site Admin

For reference the 6TB drive for a 7K is K0F28A with a higher list price, but the 8K drive K2P96B is priced lower. Note the 7K is 6gb SAS loop, while the 8K is a 12gb loop. The 8K introduced the new all inclusive licensing model, which the 7K requires to buy additional licenses based on number of drives. If you were buying upgrades from HPe, they would have to use the 7K sku so that the quoting tools would add the proper software and support required from a 7k.

One question I would ask is: Does HPe test/validate 12g SAS drives running in a 7K 6g shelf? Do they currently require a failed 6g drives be replaced with a 6g drive, or do they permit a newer 12g drive to be a replacement part for a failed 6g drive?

Can you elaborate how they were confirmed to be completely compatible?

Check this service out, its for rebalancing, to include moving drives between arrays, but you will need to work with your sales team to see if what you are asking is eligible:
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetPDF.a ... 280ENW.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 am 

Hello all,

I have found what I was looking for:

Excerpt from Page 5 on the below link:
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... .oid=63890

“Hewlett Packard Enterprise is not responsible for any interoperability or compatibility issues that may arise when (1) products, software, or options not supported by Hewlett Packard Enterprise are used; (2) configurations not supported by Hewlett Packard Enterprise are used; (3) parts intended for one system are installed in another system of different make or model.

Thank you all for your time !!!