HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Reclaim Free Space Quickly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am 

We purchased a new array and are in the process of draining PDs from an old array, moving them to the new array, migrating data using VMWare storage vMotions and repeat the process until both arrays have similar capacity. UNMAP commands were issued in VMWare and now the 3PAR array has about 140TB of free space (reserved - usr used). The low-level 3PAR background process to reclaim the free space will take much too long as we would like to start the next PD drain ASAP and need the capacity before that process starts. I attempted a VV Convert, keeping it a TPVV, in hopes that the convert process would not bring over the reserved free space, but the system will not convert a TPVV to a TPVV unless enabling dedup. I tried a Tune VV to move it to a new CPG (with similar config), but the reserved free space did not get cleaned up. The only option I can think of is to remove all VMDKs from a datastore, unmount/detach the datastore and delete the VV to get the space back quickly. There are too many datastores to make that process practical. Does anyone know of a way to reclaim quickly?

Post subject: Re: Reclaim Free Space Quickly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 pm 

Not sure how you are draining, but if you wait for reclaim, I can tell you that you're doing it wrong.

To answer your question without you adding any information about volume sizes, usr used and usr Rsvd, number of volumes on the system etc. You need to convert to full and than back to thin. Going thru dedupe will potentially just give you massive amounts of pain in this situation.

I recently "converted" an array of Vmware datastores from VMFS5 to VMFS6. Reclaim process on 3.2.2 MU6 with all patches cleaned up 2-5TB empty datastores in a couple of days clearing between 10 and 75GB per run per hour.

Post subject: Re: Reclaim Free Space Quickly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
Not sure how you are draining, but if you wait for reclaim, I can tell you that you're doing it wrong.

To answer your question without you adding any information about volume sizes, usr used and usr Rsvd, number of volumes on the system etc. You need to convert to full and than back to thin. Going thru dedupe will potentially just give you massive amounts of pain in this situation.

I recently "converted" an array of Vmware datastores from VMFS5 to VMFS6. Reclaim process on 3.2.2 MU6 with all patches cleaned up 2-5TB empty datastores in a couple of days clearing between 10 and 75GB per run per hour.

Thanks! I tested this out and it worked. TPVV with 181GB free space, converted to FPVV and then back to TPVV and now free space is down to 5GB.