HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Convert VVOL VM from RAID 5 to RAID 6
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:42 am 

Hi,

I'm currently moving all our VV's on our 9450 from a RAID 5 CPG to a RAID 6 CPG.
All the virtual volumes are moved / tuned and i'm left with our VM's running on VVOL.

How can i tune VVOL VM'S from one CPG to another? Changing storage policy on the go is not yet supported? One solution is to change the storage policy on the VM, move it to another 3PAR and after that move it back. But i don't want to move 40TB with data unnecesarily.

I'm also seeing that some of the VM's are beeing split between two CPGS. The swap file is on CPG with R5 and dedup and the config file + vmdk files are on R6. Is there any logic as to where the 3PAR / vCenter places the VVOLs?

Post subject: Re: Convert VVOL VM from RAID 5 to RAID 6
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 pm 

I've just implemented VVOLs in our test environment so your question gives me a good thing to try out :-)

I wonder if you can just create a new CPG and storage container on the array, then create a new VVOL datastore in vCentre and just do a migrate to new storage for the VM ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 pm 

I'm not having much luck with this :-)

VMware is not letting me create another storage policy with a different CPG, it shows me all the CPGs to choose from, but none except the orginal RAID5 CPGs are "Compatible" .. quite odd, seems to only like CPGs that existed when VASA and VVols were configured.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:14 am 

VMware fixed the issue .. was a problem with the HPE VASA storage provider not refreshing.

Anyway ... tried to change the VM Storage Policy of a VM from RAID-5 to RAID-1 ... didn;t like it, and failed.
It looks like you have to storage migrate the VM into a new datastore or VVOL container and change the VM storage policy as you do that .. can't just change it in place.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 am 

it's not recomended to do it.best option is to copy data to new VV with new CPG with another raid.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am 

Thank's for your answers. I ended up moving the VM's to another 3PAR, changing the storage policy and moving them back again.

Everything is running on R6 as per the storage policy, but the SWAP file is still put on R5 ... any ideas? I'm thinking of turning the VM's off and then deleting the R5 CPG. Then the SWAP file will have to be placed on the R6 CPG. But ultimately i wan't to avoid downtime to get this done ..