HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Block size on Window 2016
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am 

Hi

I'm running a 7450c OS 3.2.1.292

I'm trying to create a Windows 2016 image with a block size of 16k because I believe this should give me the best de-duplication ratios. I previous versions of widows I could specify the block size as part of the install process. 2016 does not seem to let me do that. I've used shift F10 for a command window and tried to use diskpart with no success. 2016 seems only to want a 4k block size.

Can anyone tell me whether

1) a block size of 16k will definetaly offer bettter de-duplication than the 4k

2) whether anyone has managed to create a 2016 image with a 16k block size

Thanks for your help

Alex

Post subject: Re: Block size on Window 2016
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 am 

1. Yes. With 4k block size you have a 75% chance of two identical files in NTFS to have a 16k allignment mismatch.
2. Unless something has changed since win2012, windows requires the first partition to be 4k. I’ve seen guides to overcome it, but I’ve accepted that everything can’t be perfect. In Vmware everything is cloned from the same template which means that most files will allign there and put «everything» else on other partitions with 16k allignment.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 am 

Thanks for the reply.

My 2012 R2 image has a 16k block size on the C: drive. I don't remember it being a particular problem setting it as 16k. I think I just formatted the drive with that block size as part of the install process.

If the templated deployments will align well anyway maybe I shouldn't be too concerned.

If anyone has managed it though I'd still like to hear from them!! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 am 

I set this challenge on our VMware guys a while back when they started doing new templates, just poked them and they recon it was a case of starting the install, let it create the partition tables and just before it starts installing files reboot it and start the install again. This time find the option to open dos box and manually use diskpart to set the main partition to 16k, then restart install and select that as the destination. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 am 

Hi Ailean

I followed your instruction and I now have a Window 2016 template with a 16k block size on the system drive!!

Thanks a lot for posting, and pass on my thanks to your VmWare team. You've obviously got some great techs working there

Cheers

Alex