HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Host port gone to 'free'
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 am 

Hi All,
Had a blip last week where a node in our 7400 had a wobble and rebooted due to a faulty dimm.
The dimm has been replaced but one of the host ports on the node is now showing as 'free'. To be honest I don't know how long the port has been free but presuming it was since the reboot.
I checked the port config and it's set correctly. have checked the VC modules and everything is looking good on there. The engineer when replacing the dimm said that all ports are showing activity. HPE are dragging their heels a bit with this so would appreciate some pointers as to what I can try
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Host port gone to 'free'
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 am 

Free can just mean there's nothing connecting on that port so it's 'free' to configure, presuming it did see hosts prior to the swap (is this a FC host port? Checked switch and zoning?).

As the node needs removing for DIMM swaps it might just be a physical issue (cable in wrong socket, not fully inserted, dirt on an optic etc).

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:32 am 

Hi. Yes this is a FC port. The zoning is looking OK according to the Virtual connect manager.
The node has now had the dimm replaced but has come up with the port still showing as free. I'll take a trip to the DC this week to take a look.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:29 am 

HPE support had given up on this as our firmware is out of date but it turns out that it was due to a faulty SFP in the VC module.
We have replaced the SFP and the port is now active but the 3par can only see 3 out of 8 blades on that port. The WWNs In the VC server profiles just aren't visible to the 3par. We have reconfigure the 3par host port and have restarted the VC module. Any ideas on how to get the 3par to see the WWNs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:30 am 

I've seen on way to many occasions that buggy FC drives or firmware doesn't bring back dead paths without a reboot.

Have you tried rebooting one of the hosts you're not seeing thru that port?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:16 am 

What I have done today is the following:
1. Shut down an affected host
2. Deleted VC server profile
3. Created new VC server profile (made note of new WWNs)
4. Rebooted the VC module that had the4 SFP replaced
5. Powered on the host
6. Deleted the host in 3PAR
7. Reset the affected 3PAR host port
8. Created new host in 3PAR but the new WWNs assigned by VC are not showing as unassigned paths

I don't know if the issue is with the 3PAR or Virtual Connect but the 3PAR isn't picking up any WWNs from Virtual connect