HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Can't see hosts from 3PAR
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi,

I've just setup two environments, each identical with a 3par 7400, a pair of brocade 6500s and a pair of proliant gen 9 dl580s with a couple of FC HBAs, and intended to be boot from SAN.

The first environment worked without a hitch, no problems really.

The second environment, I can't actually see the hosts from the 3PAR.

I've verified:

* The switch zoning and configuration
* The cabling
* The server configuration -- HBA driver activated, no lun restrictions.
* That the hosts are logged into the switches and their ports are online.
* That the 3par is logged into the switches and its ports are online.

I've tried:

* Resetting the ports on the 3par.
* Interrogating the switch name service from the 3par -- it lists the hosts WWPNs as being present.
* Rebooting all of the 3par nodes.

The 3par ports were configured as such:

controlport offline 0:1:1
controlport config host -ct point 0:1:1

The ports are showing up as "Free" rather than "Host". I'm not sure what this indicates I can't really find any detail from the documentation.

InServ OS is 3.2.1 -- I'm not sure about MUs or Patches.

Obviously I've managed to get this working on one environment, I'm completely stumped by the second env, any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Can't see hosts from 3PAR
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 pm 

So based on what you're saying, showportdev ns shows the hosts, you've tried controlport rst and everything is online with nsshow on the SAN-switches? Normaly free indicate no wwn or no wwn linked to host detected on host port.

It shouldn' t be an issue but 3.2.1 is inactive so I would recommend upgrade independent of the issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 am 

Hi,

Regarding the name service and port resets, yes that's correct, everything is visible on the name service, I've attempted to reset the ports with the -l flag to reload the firmware. I'll query the 3.2.1 version, perhaps there's a patch which will remediate this.

One other thing I forgot to mention is, I left it overnight, and when I came back one of the hosts was visible, both hosts are configured identically. After attempting to reset the port again, the host disappeared and the port was marked "Free" again, the host did not return throughout my efforts for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:28 am 

Hi, could it be something like "Zoned WWNs connected to fabric A in zonesets in fabric B"?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 am 

I would probably also look at the hosts. If they come and go it could be something there as well. I assume you’ve checked fw, drivers and tried reboots?

Almost every MU brings new firmware and drivers to the HBAs on the 3par. I’m guessing they all solve some form of issue, but I think you need some deep analysis to determine if that is relevant there. Personally I would upgrade.... I never deploy a new environment on outdated software.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 am 

Are host HBAs set to point to point / fabric mode? AL is always good for interesting effects...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm 

as far as the 3par ports showing free...
regardless how they are configured, if there is nothing visible (host ports dont see host/in wwns) it will be considered "free". as in no connections active.

from the switches, if they are brocade..(my cisco knowledge is limited to FICS/nxos)
zone show *name/wwpn*
nodefind "wwpn"
nsshow | grep "name/wwpn"

also check porterrshow for the host ports or storage ports, make sure they arent in distress with crc errors so forth. this would might be why they showed up and disappeared...but im sure you checked this too.

just to verify the switches are visibly seeing the host ports and the nameserver is acting ok. you verified zoning so on the array

controlport nssync [-f] <node:slot:port>...

on previous 3par code, i had encountered issues where the ports werent syncing up with the ns. this usually helps it query the ns service on the switch to get updated.
can be verified with
showportdev ns <node:slot:port>
showportdev findport "WWPN" <node:slot:port>
showport -c <node:slot:port>

the other members mentioning verified the hosts/PTP topology is valid. i just wanted to add this. good luck.