HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR ODX support with Windows 2012
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm 

We do some large (40GB-150TB) data transfers and so ODX is of great interest to me.

We have some P10000 3PARs that we use to host our data and I've stood up a Windows 2012 server on an HP blade with a couple of LUNs fibre-presented to it as NTFS-formatted disks. A couple of data moves on the 2012 server today showed no improvement, in terms of times or throughput when compared to a Windows 2008 machine with a similar setup so I'm pretty sure it's not performing an offload.

The P10000 are currently using Inform 3.1.1 Update 1.

Has anyone succeeded in using Windows 2012 offloads with 3PARs? I'm sure it's possible; Calvin Zito demos it in an Hp blog but I just can't get it to work.

I ran an fltmc command on the Windows 2012 machine and I only see 2 filters loaded: luafv for the c:\ drive and npsvctrig for \Device\named Pipes. Should I see any filters loaded for my 3PAR luns? (appearing as volumes X:\ and Y:\ in Windows).Running the Get-OffloadDataTransferSetting | Get-StorageSubSystem powershell cmdlet likewise shows nothing but I'm not sure if it should because I noted that it doesn't show SMI-S storage subsystems which I think the P10000 would be?

My test involves a simple copy using explorer and also robocopy of a 4GB and 40GB file from Lun X to Lun Y Any guidance would be gratefully received. At the moment I'm left wondering whether I should be seeing a filter loaded for the 3PAR disks but have been unable to find anything to confirm or deny it. There may be something I haven't done in Windows 2012 but I was under the impression there was nothing to set up.

I've no doubt this is most likely a Windows 2012 concern than a 3Par one but I thought it worth asking in case someone in the community has any information

Many thanks for any advice you can give. Darren

Post subject: Re: 3PAR ODX support with Windows 2012
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:20 pm 

Just noticed HP's new P10000 customer notice; it's only been up for a couple of days which explains why I didn't see it when last I visited.

Inform 3.11 MU2 is the minimum supported version for Windows 2012 and supports all major features apart from ODX (sigh!)

The next release WILL support ODX and is expected to be available from November 2012 onwards.

Hooray!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Here is a related MSDN link as well"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 8518ce3302

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

And a link to the HP Bulletin:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c03505774

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:49 pm 

Glad you found the ODX demos I have on the blog - when I did those, I should have thought to ask what version of InForm OS was needed - glad you guys figured it out!

Calvin