HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Replicating snapshots
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:36 pm 

Hi all,
Can remotecopy replicate snapshots? If you scheduled snapshot, snvv name changes.
I have a LUN, department wants to replicate the LUN and take snapshot once a day and retain them 30 days. They want them to be on DR site too. My solution is to replicate base lun and take snapshots on dr site.

Thanks in advance for any help

Post subject: Re: Replicating snapshots
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:18 pm 

You can't replicate snapshot.
But you can create snapshot at the same time of all VVs in the same remote copy group.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

The way Remote Copy works is by taking a "snapshot" of the base/source LUN and replicates the snap to the target. It still works even if you do not have VirtualCopy licenced.

I do not know if the snaps used by RCOPY are visible/usable to the admins, I believe they are maintained by the system explicitly for the RCOPY. If true, you may need to configure a daily RCOPY and a daily VirtualCopy of the SOURCE, then also configure a daily virtual copy of the target.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:37 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
The way Remote Copy works is by taking a "snapshot" of the base/source LUN and replicates the snap to the target. It still works even if you do not have VirtualCopy licenced.

This is true for periodic/async only. Sync (and async streaming to my knowledge) does not create snapshots.

Richard Siemers wrote:
I do not know if the snaps used by RCOPY are visible/usable to the admins, I believe they are maintained by the system explicitly for the RCOPY. If true, you may need to configure a daily RCOPY and a daily VirtualCopy of the SOURCE, then also configure a daily virtual copy of the target.

This snapshot would be discarded as soon as replication of that snap is completed.

Going well outside the things I know and use, but couldn't Recovery Manager possibly help here?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 am 

Recovery Manager is used with Exchange, SQL Server, Oracle, VMware. But not with filers or other apps.

As soon you got Virtual Copy and Remote Copy licenses you can, using CLI/SSH, create snapshots of both source and target VVs.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:04 am 

We have been pushing 3par for a few years to have a true NetApp like Snap Mirror functionality. We wrote some script sot do it, but the problem is the remote snap lags by N-1. We truly want the snap tree on the target array to be identical to the snap tree on the source array. Our attempts at Recovery Manager were fruitless as the number of overall volumes on our array overwhelmed RM and it was never able to work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:39 pm 

Has anyone managed to replicate this, and remote replicate the snap tree on the replication destination array?