HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 1TB and 2TB NL drives in a single CPG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am 

We have several cages with 1TB NL drives and recently purchased an additional cage populated with 2TB NL drives. Are there any caveats to combining the two sizes in a single CPG? If we limit the size of the CPG, we can insure that performance is not affected when the 1TB drives fill up. Is there any reason not to take advantage of all the increased IOPS?

Post subject: Re: 1TB and 2TB NL drives in a single CPG
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like you already understand that the drives will grow "equally" together until a time when the 1TB drives are full and all new growth will go to the 2 TB drives...

I would say thats an unfavorable position to be in, performance wise. Eventually, even if you rebalance your capacity across all the NL drives, the 1 TB drives/shelves will fill up, and at that point, all new writes will go to just the new shelf, thus losing the performance and redundancy benefits provided by the other shelves.

A slow way this can be fixed is to work with support to re-arrange your magazines one or 2 at a time so that every shelve has an equal number of 1TB and 2TB mags.