HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Virtual Copy and using it with a windows 2008 R2 cluster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am 

I am managing a Windows 2008 R2 cluster with 2 nodes that can receive the storage volumes
The storage volumes are TPVV and have a size of (1 x 6 TB and 1 x 600 Gb)

We take snapshots or Virtual Copies once every hour

I would like to know the following things

1. I seem to not be able to present a snapshot of the 6 TB disk to the same cluster ?
2. Is it possible to present the snapshot (once it is created in R/W) to one of the two nodes ?
3. Is it possible to present the snapshot (once it is created in R/W) to a totally different server ?
4. Is it possible if I have snapshots of the 6 TB lun to format the 6 TB BASE lun and restore the data from a snapshot (I think not)
5. How or where can I see what size the snapshot files take in the storage

Thanks loads for all the help

Regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Virtual Copy and using it with a windows 2008 R2 cluster
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

fterveen wrote:
1. I seem to not be able to present a snapshot of the 6 TB disk to the same cluster ?
2. Is it possible to present the snapshot (once it is created in R/W) to one of the two nodes ?
3. Is it possible to present the snapshot (once it is created in R/W) to a totally different server ?
4. Is it possible if I have snapshots of the 6 TB lun to format the 6 TB BASE lun and restore the data from a snapshot (I think not)
5. How or where can I see what size the snapshot files take in the storage

1) Probably not due to windows seeing the same GUID/Disk SN#. This might help: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinov ... 63572.aspx

2) RW yes, to one of the same nodes: see #1

3) absolutely yes.

4) Yes. By format I assume you mean from the host with windows tools. You have the additional option to replace the base with the snapshot.

5) I dont have my guy handy, but its there, you may need to add some columns to show not only user space but also copy space.

Post subject: Re: Virtual Copy and using it with a windows 2008 R2 cluster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:47 pm 

The only option I can see for #1 is to present the snapshot to another host. When trying to mount it on the same host, the cluster wants to claim it. This is because the disk signature is the same as the base volume. I confirmed this using diskpart. I then attempted to change the disk signature but get an error message that the media is write protected. I have exported this virtual copy as R/W. Any ideas how I can get around this?

Cheers.