HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Some problems on AO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21 am 

Hi. Our shop have a 3PAR F400 with 48 x 300GB FC and 48 x 1TB FATA disks. We have enable the AO function for 2 weeks and have the following questions on AO.

Setting:
Tier1 - FC Raid 1
Tier2 - FC Raid 5
Tier3 - FA Raid 5

About 20 VV were created in tier 2 initially but half of them turn to Raid 1. Why the vv turn to Raid 1? I just expect some chunklet will move to the Tier1 and most of them will move to Tier 3. Is it misleading to say the vv is running in Raid1?

The second question is whether the space of the Tier 2 can be released if after some chunklet move to Tier 1 or Tier 3.

The third question is if we create a snapcopy for 1 of the vv. after 1month, we promote the vv back to the original status, will all the chunklet move back to Tier 2?

I just can't find a good document talking about AO for 3PAR. Any idea?

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Some problems on AO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 am 

Quote:
About 20 VV were created in tier 2 initially but half of them turn to Raid 1.

What exactly do you mean by that? And where did it say that the VVs switched CPGs?

Quote:
The second question is whether the space of the Tier 2 can be released if after some chunklet move to Tier 1 or Tier 3.

When chunks get moved the space on the originating CPG gets freed up automatically.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm 

From the InForm Management console->Provisioning->VV the Raid column. All the raid should be created in Raid 5 CPG but some of them is now change to Raid 1 after enable the AO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 am 

Quote:
From the InForm Management console->Provisioning->VV the Raid column. All the raid should be created in Raid 5 CPG but some of them is now change to Raid 1 after enable the AO

Interesting, I can see the same thing on our 3par :)
The "Settings"-tab of each volume shows more info on this. In my case the "User Space Allocation" varies even though all the volumes are set up to use the same CPG for "User Space Provisioning". No idea why :(
BTW: If you want to find out how much space each volume uses in each CPG you can do so by clicking the "CPG Space" tab close to the top.

Sometimes I get the feeling that AO is not integrated very well with the rest of the system leading to some strange behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:35 am 

Yes. FastJack. I know what you feel.