HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Scripting and new to Board
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 am 

Team, I just joined the board and I was very glad to find this site. We just installed two new HP 3 PAR systems and aree in the process of putting in Intersystems Ensemble product. Ensemble utilized a cache' data base using cache mirroring. I'm very new to 3PAR and have never been much of coder or scripter. We need to create a script that will freeze the data base, create or update an an existing physical copy, thaw the DB and then mount the database and kickoff a backup script to our existing Netbackup system.

In researching previous posts, looks like I'll need to install the HP CLI tool on the server and work at it from that direction. Any ideas on the best way to handle this.

Thanks for any help and those that have posted previous scripts, which have given me some ideas.

Post subject: Re: Scripting and new to Board
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 am 

Is Ensemble the DB you are using or it is a product that uses one of the mainstream DBs (Oracle, SQL, etc)? If it is its own DB then they would need an API or call that would put the DB in freeze/hot backup mode then you would probably want to do the same to the underlying OS. If they are using SQL or Oracle HP has Recovery Manger products that can do this type of functionality. I am not a NetBackup person, but does their Snapshot Client not provide some sort of quiesce capability and hardware snapshot integration. We use Commvault and it can do snapshots and back up of SQL, Exchange VMware, Oracle, file systems, etc. I would think NB has similar capabilities?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 am 

Thanks for the reply. Ensemble actually uses Cache's as it's backend DB. I' sure we can figure out the freeze and thaw portion. They have commands for that. I was a little more concerned with the scripting portion for the 3 par system. I've seen a couple of good examples on this site. How you pass credentials to the 3 par system to allow the script to execute correctly?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Passing credentials - the 3PAR CLi tools include a command called setpassword that will create an encrypted file your script can use to authenticate.

"setpassword -saveonly -file filename_you_want"

After you have that file saved, you can set the environmental variable TPDPWFILE to the file name/location and the CLI will use that.